Welcome to the OddEssay Blog



Natchez Trace and Tishomingo State Park (Part II):


December 2, 2010:                We woke this morning to the sound of the geese. As long as we are spending another day, we decided to do some "sight sniffing" (doggy language) down the trace toward Tupelo. The first area we checked out was the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway. This is visible from a large bridge we cross over on the trace. However, to get to the dam and waterway areas, it was necessary to drive about 10 miles off the trace. We actually wound up covering about 30 miles total as we explored this area which is run by the US Army Corps of Engineers. One of the things we wanted to do was check out the area for possible boondocking. Unfortunately, much of the area is right now open for hunting and the campground itself is closed, so this did not turn out to be a viable alternative.






Views like this are what this lifestyle is all about. We have enjoyed the Natchez Trace so much, we have decided we will try to see as many of the American Byways as possible.


We saw two more deer today, one of whom posed for the camera, one of whom caused me to brake harshly. I was glad I was not hauling the trailer at the time.





After we returned to tthe Trace, we continued South towards Tupelo. We visited a part of the old Trace where 13 unknown Confederate soldiers are buried. The current headstones are the third set. The original ones, which may have had names on them, have long disappeared. A second set was later placed and also was destroyed and later replaced with the current set.


The last area we visited was the Pharr Mounds, one of several different areas with Indian Burial and Ceremonial Mounds. After the mounds, we had to head back to the camp site because we only had about 90 minutes of daylight left and we needed to hitch the camper up and get it ready for travel before dark. We need to leave the campsite at 6:00 am tomorrow morning so we have time to dump the waste tanks and get to the RV dealer in Red Bay before 7:00 am.














December 3, 2010:                Today we got up at 5:00 to get ready to go and take the trailer to the RV Center to get the Slide Seal Repaired. When the owner looked at my seal, he stated the seal, while showing minor signs of wear, was as good as could be expected. The most likely cause of the leaking was water ponding on top of the slide and then seeping under the seal. The best way to counteract this is to try to park with the slide side slightly lower than the door side of the trailer. I guess I will look into a slide topper. While it will not stop all water from getting to the top of the slide, it will stop a majority of the water. It will also mean I do not have to clean the top of the slide every time I go to put it in.


Sunrise over the Lake as seen from the Dump Station at 6:15 AM.


After waiting for over an hour for the Red Bay Post Office to open at 8:30 am, we retrieved the overnight letter containing the trailer registration that Phillip had forwarded. Then we gassed up and headed back to continue our trip down the Natchez Trace. Some time later, we started hearing a noise in the engine. It sounded like engine knocking, but it kept getting worse and all I could visualize was a mechanical catastrophe. I also noticed that I had a loss of power on the hills and speculated the gas we had put in might have not been so great. After awhile, the noise stopped, only to return later and then disappear again. Since it has not returned, I am fairly certain the gas had some contamination in it that had to be worked through.




There is a lot of history written on the plaques located along the Trace. The bridge from which we had the view of the Tenn-Tom water project was named for Representative Jamie L. Witten who was instrumental in getting funding for completion of the Trace and the Waterway.

Leaving the picnic area located here, we passed a beaver dam. If you look carefully on the left of the dam, that brown lump is a real live beaver.







What Julie does as we travel. That Afghan will be done yet.



After checking on the distances to different campgrounds, we decided to make it a short day and stopped at the Jeff Busby Campground located at mile marker 193 on the Trace. This is a no-utilities campground provided by the park service, but it did have a picnic table and trash receptacle. We did not bother to unhitch and just spent the one night, but it was nice enough weather to get out the grill and have a nice supper.

Another night of free camping courtesy of the solar power. We are sort of keeping track because sooner or later the system will have paid for itself.



We started the day with a picture of the sunrise. It is only fair that we end it with a picture of the sunset. The lighter gray areas at the middle of the picture is not a body of water, but rather the Natchez Trace and the access road to the campground.


(More to come. Stay Tuned for Part III.)